We went to Sunol on Sunday, April 10 and it was raining. Two weather apps told me that it wasn't going to rain in Sunol. Let the lesson be learned that weather apps aren't always correct. We didn't care, though. We had fun anyway. Let another lesson be learned that rain boots are nice to have when there are big puddles.
Today's outing just whetted our appetite for more Sunol (pun intended). We're going back on Saturday, April 16 at 10am. The weather forecast is sunny and warm (see first lesson above), so we're going. It's ridiculously beautiful out there and we have to go play in that creek. We must go back.
- Saturday, April 16 at 10am
- Sunol Regional Wilderness
- Directions to the park from Berkeley/Oakland: drive east on I-580 to the junction with I-680. Take I-680 south. Take exit at Calaveras Road/Highway 84 just south of the Sunol exit. Turn left onto Calaveras Road and proceed about four miles. Turn left onto Geary Road, which leads directly into the park. If you find yourself driving uphill on a narrow winding road you’ve missed the Geary Road turnoff.
- About 50 yards after the entrance kiosk, there's a small parking area and a bathroom and a drinking fountain. We'll meet there. There's a foot bridge across the creek that we'll take.
- If it is indeed warm and sunny as our weather apps are predicting, there will be a lot of people there. You might not find parking near the foot bridge. That's okay. There is plenty of parking farther up the road. Park and walk on back to the foot bridge.
- If you miss us, you can catch up at your own pace. Cross the foot bridge. Turn left. Walk on the trail that follows the creek until you find us. Don't go up Flag Hill Trail. Just stay on the trail along the creek and pass through one gate. Keep going until you find us.
- Bring shoes to walk in the water with. Bring a change of clothes.