This Foint Finole Friday thing started last year as my wacky attempt to counter balance the going-inside-ness of the start of the school year with some going-outside-ness at Point Pinole. We go on Friday afternoons to a beach at Point Pinole and all are welcome. It's kind of like an open house - come whenever you can between 3:00-6:00pm.
Here's what to do:
- Pack some water, snacks, warm clothes in case the wind comes up, a change of clothes in case of water/mud.
- Drive to the Point Pinole parking lot. Directions are here.
- Walk up the short hill to the bridge over the train tracks. Cross the bridge (and wave to any passing trains). Right after the bridge, turn left onto the Bay Trail. Walk .25 mile till a small grove of eucalyptus trees. Turn left on a small path towards the beach. You're there!
- Come when you can, leave when you need to.
And here's why we do this and why you should come:
- It's really good to shake out the end-of-the-week ya ya's with some time at the beach.
- Playing with other kids - and seeing other kids - in nature helps kids become more comfortable in nature.
- We spend a lot of time inside and on computers. It's not what our bodies were built to do.
- The tide will be coming in on Sept 4, going out on Sept 11, and more or less a high tide on Sept 18.
- The sunsets from this beach at Point Pinole are stunning.
- See about 150 pictures of Point Pinole here and you'll see why.
No registrations or RSVPs are needed. More about how Outside Kids works and what we're all about is over here.
See you then!